Friday, July 24, 2009

Yellow post it note




This is how it all began. My mom gave a yellow post it note to Darolyne that had my phone number on it. She gave it to Joey in April and finally in mid July he gave me a call. Joey was living with his parents while they were building his townhouse in Draper. So he waited until his parents went to Canada and the coast was clear, then he gave me a call. We set up a date for July 24th. This was a blind date so I was a little bit nervous. Joey had seen a picture of me but sad to say he was not too impressed. So he showed up at my Belmont condo and we were off. He seemed really nice but I was not thinking it would be a match. He did open my door for me which was nice (come to find out that he had NEVER done that for anyone before- married the first!) but we seemed to struggle through conversation. We went through the small talk, work, hobbies, music. I told him how much I hated Emmylou Harris which happened to be one of his favs- not scoring too many points. We arrived at Macaroni Grill and ate dinner. We talked about his mission and I could not believe he went to Korea. Kind of a weird issue of mine- I swore I would never marry someone who served in Korea. Figured that they would want the subservient wife who wore her hair in a bun, served him, and always walked 10 feet behind him. So not true but just a weird issue of mine. So he was not really scoring points either! How is this going to turn around..... just wait, it obviously does! Well dinner was done, we boxed our leftovers, Joey paid the bill and I reached down to get my purse. When I came back up he was gone. I looked for him and he was already out the door. I rushed to meet him and said "Is the date really going that bad?" Joey was caught off guard because he realized that I could be sarcastic which was so how he was. This totally broke the awkwardness and we both started to be ourselves. Since Joey was intrigued with my sarcastic side, he decided to continue the date rather than end the weeknight dinner only plan! So we walked over to Borders music. We had so much fun reading books, listening to music, and learning more about each other. He even bought me a James Taylor Greatest Hits cd and bought himself Travis. We found out that we both had a love for music and actually liked a lot of the same artists. On the drive home we listened to Travis "Sing" and I teased him about the complicated lyrics. We had a really good time. As we pulled up to my condo he pulled out his planner and asked for my email address. I waited for him to get out to walk me up to the door and I would still be waiting until this day. I did not happen. I was a bit shocked that he would not make sure I got in safe. I walked in and told my roommates that I had a really good time. I said that I did not see us dating but I could see us becoming the best of friends.

Crazy how things work out. From the sound of the first date, who would have guessed 8 years later I would be writing about how in love I am with this guy! I truly love everything about him and feel so blessed that we are married. He is my best friend. He always makes me laugh and always makes me feel loved. Happy 8 years Joel Dave!! I know that there will be many many more. And just a side note, after a few dates and me bugging him about his lack of manners, he started walking me to the door!

No comments:

Nash's Patriarchal Blessing

Nash has been thinking about getting his patriarchal blessing for a little while now.  Harlee told him of how they did a devotional at HXP b...